JOB POST #3872-2023
GIS Technician – summer & fall/winter positionsDate Posted: February 1st, 2023 Date Closing: December 1st, 2023
Location: Scales Nature Park, travel to projects in central and southwestern Ontario may be required
Duration: Varies with position, minimum 8 weeks with extension up to one year internship possible
Salary: Varies depending on the position and funding. At or slightly above minimum wage.
Duties will vary with the nature of each position, but will include:
- Manipulation of data and creation of maps, models, or tools related to wildlife conservation using geographic information systems (GIS) applications to sever a variety of purposes
- Participating in outreach activities to landowners or other stakeholder groups to solicit species observations, obtain permission to access private properties for surveying, and sharing conservation messaging about habitat protection, etc.
- Assisting with collating data from project staff and volunteers plus public observations, running statistical analyses, and helping to interpret findings and compiling the results into reports and proposals
- Automate data processing in conjunction with new GPS field app
- Instruct other staff and volunteers on geoprocessing and data analysis
- Participation in field work or other facility operations as time allows to better understand project needs
- Ability to follow detailed protocols, stay highly organized, task switch and prioritize conflicting goals
- Proven time management and leadership skills
- Strong oral communication and people skills, as well as writing skills
- Experience with spreadsheets, GIS, and other data management tools
- Flexibility regarding scheduling, positive attitude and passion for wildlife conservation
- Ability to work and thrive as part of a close-knit team in challenging situations
- Internal motivation and the ability to work without supervision
Accommodations (shared) may be available on-site (quad or double bunk room). The ability to thrive as part of a close-knit team in challenging situations and a live/work environment is important.
How to Apply:Please complete the Google Form found here: https://forms.gle/DX1QdmWCbx2pvFyi6. At the conclusion of the questionnaire, you will be prompted to upload a resume, cover letter, and references as a single PDF file, 4 pages or less. Resumes will be reviewed beginning March 1, but applications will continue to be accepted after that.
Please reference this job posting in your email: JOB POSTING #3872-2023