JOB POST #4579-2023
Correctional OfficerDate Posted: August 24th, 2023 Date Closing: September 25th, 2023
Do you have a passion for making a difference in the lives of others? Do you enjoy working with diverse people? If so, then consider this opportunity with the Ministry of the Solicitor General, where you will support the correctional system in Ontario and contribute to the safety of your community. The Correctional Officer position is a rewarding career in the justice sector and is an opportunity to work with an employer that promotes diversity, is committed to your development and is providing paid training for new correctional officer recruits. This is an exciting time to join Correctional Services!
We are seeking like-minded individuals that demonstrate compassion for others and an ability to engage and support diverse communities in a meaningful way. You bring an awareness, sensitivity, and mindfulness towards diversity and understand the challenges/barriers clients from marginalized groups may face. Those committed to diversity and inclusion have an opportunity to apply for a scholarship providing financial aid in training costs.
In this role, you will:
• Perform a full range of duties, including the care, custody, control and supervision of inmates
• Support the delivery of specialized programs, services and cultural activities for inmates
• Interact with inmates to maintain security and safety in the facility
• Provide community escort duties to ensure the safety of inmates, staff, visitors and the public
• Maintain communications with a range of contacts, including inmates, co-workers, supervisors, Native Inmate Liaison/Elder and clinical and medical staff
• Demonstrate the Correctional Services Officer core competencies of critical and strategic thinking, leadership, communication, emotional intelligence and integrity, and professionalism throughout all interactions.
How do I qualify?
You must meet the following pre-requirements to apply:
• Be a minimum of 18 years of age
• Possess oral French skills at the Advanced-Minus level (for bilingual positions)
• Be currently certified and/or able to be certified by first day of employment in Emergency First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Heartsaver (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator(AED)
• Must have original proof of Grade 12 completion or an equivalency (e.g. general equivalency diploma/certificate)
• Must be able to work rotating shifts, including days, afternoons and nights, and on weekends and statutory holidays
To be considered for the Correctional Officer position, you must successfully complete the following during the recruitment process:
• Ministry administered aptitude, cognitive and psychological tests
• FITCO testing [must be completed prior to a conditional offer of employment has been made]
• Correctional Officer pre-employment medical exam
• Corrections Foundational Training for Correctional Officers (CFT-CO). A training stipend will be offered to candidates who are selected.
• Oral French Language test at the Advanced-Minus level (for bilingual correctional officer positions only)
• Correctional Officer Enhanced Security Clearance process, which includes:
-Vulnerable Services Sector Check
-Out-of-Country Check (if applicable)
-RCMP Records Check
-NICHE/RMS File Check
-PIP (Police Information Portal) Check
-Credit Equifax Check
-Immigration Status Check
-Ministry of Transportation (MTO) Check – last ten years
• Prior to beginning employment with the Ontario Public Service, you must provide documents showing that you are legally entitled to work in Canada