JOB POST #4791-2023
Correctional OfficerDate Posted: November 27th, 2023 Date Closing: December 15th, 2023
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Perform a full range of duties, including the care, custody, control and supervision of inmates
• Support the delivery of specialized programs, services and cultural activities for inmates
• Interact with inmates to maintain security and safety in the facility
• Provide community escort duties to ensure the safety of inmates, staff, visitors and the public
• Maintain communications with a range of contacts, including inmates, co-workers, supervisors, Native Inmate Liaison/Elder and clinical and medical staff
• Demonstrate the Correctional Services Officer core competencies of critical and strategic thinking, leadership, communication, emotional intelligence and integrity, and professionalism throughout all interactions.
Communication (Oral and Written) skills
• Ability to convey factual information through respectful oral and written communication with inmates, staff, supervisors and the public
• Ability to complete reports and documentation, and maintain accurate inmate counts
• Ability to demonstrate interpersonal skills in communicating clearly, respectfully and confidently in providing information, instructions and directions
Observation, Analytical and Problem Solving skills
• Ability to assess inmate situations, problems and conflicts and proactively determine suitable resolutions.
• Ability to demonstrate leadership in making inmate referrals to appropriate institutional personnel or professional staff for suitable action
Team Work/Interpersonal and Persuasion skills
• Ability to work cooperatively with others to achieve common goals
• Ability to positively assist inmates and motivate them to participate in activities
• Ability to treat inmates and staff in a consistent, fair, firm and non-judgmental manner
• Ability to promote shared values and deliver on organizational priorities and expectations
Crisis Intervention and Conflict Resolution skills
• Ability to recognize and understand situations that may produce conflict and use strategies and critical thinking to resolve and/or de-escalate
• Ability to recognize and assess a crisis or potential crisis situation, and implement appropriate solutions in an attempt to resolve the crisis
General Knowledge and Computer skills
• Knowledge of court procedures to testify/present evidence at court hearings, Coroner’s inquests and ministry investigations.
• Knowledge of diversity to understand cultural differences and professionally interact with others
• Ability to apply human rights and anti-racism principles, in supporting Indigenous perspectives, demonstrating an inclusive and diversity focused approach to managing impacts on inmates
• Ability to use computer software to accurately input and retrieve data