|The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Services: We reach out to support others without discrimination
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us
Position purpose summary:
Frontline workers are the first point of contact for clients who come to Barrie Bayside Mission Centre. You will provide high level engagement and interaction with clients in our emergency housing facility, which includes admitting clients, intake processing, monitoring, referral and administrative duties.
- Facilitate intake for Clients by gathering required information, provide any requested information, and orient clients and to facility Emergency Housing guidelines and schedules, as well as all available services
- Conduct a full intake process using the HIFIS system and complete the VI-SPDAT needs assessment tool
- Provide oversite during all meals to ensure safety of all
- Respond to immediate needs, provide supports, crisis intervention and conflict resolution
- Provide Emergency Housing and access to meals, snacks, donations, shower, toiletries, laundry, clothes, computers, telephones and other amenities offered
- Provide residential clients with their medication upon request and monitor as required
- Maintain surveillance of security monitors, make regular rounds throughout program areas, washroom and perimeter checks of building and communicate regularly with staff from other program areas
- Responsible for regular room checks; to ensure the safety of the residents and facility
- Provide on-going daily support, assistance and encouragement to break the cycles of poverty and homelessness
- Ensuring weekly chore list is up to date and that residence are on a rotational chore schedule
- Records information in log book in an accurate and legible manner.
- Ensures kitchen laundry and client towels is done nightly (midnight shift) which includes folding and putting away in cupboard
- Ensures bed linens laundry is done weekly (midnight shift) which includes folding and putting away in cupboard
- Serves and cleans up from evening snack (afternoon shift)
- Maintains cleanliness of the shelter work area during assigned shifts according to Health & Safety standards
- Prepares shelter bed linens (Midnight shift) weekly for in-house laundry
- Ensures bed linens (Day shift) are placed on beds in shelter dorm rooms
- Ensures security of client’s possessions left in our care (under lock and key)
- Ensures storage room is organized of client’s belongings and items are stored accordingly in totes when a client has been discharged
- Ensures Bayside Mission entrances, sidewalks and alley ways are kept clear of snow by shoveling and applying salt as needed
- Conduct exit interviews with clients and enter discharge information in client’s file
- Promote positive and supportive attitudes towards individuals who are experiencing homelessness
- Participate in and promote programs and activities that empower our clients to work towards their goals
- To perform all other related duties as assigned by Director of Programs
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- College diploma in Social Services field or equivalent experience
- Two to five years previous experience with people experiencing homelessness would be an asset
- Knowledge and understanding of addictions/ mental health
- Superior knowledge of community resources
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of and a commitment to anti-racism, anti-oppression, and equity
- Excellent problem-solving skills are essential
- Able to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, other languages considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills
- Ability to work as a team member with other staff, volunteers, donors and clients
- Possess a valid Certification in First Aid/CPR + AED
The successful candidate on hire must provide:
- A clear and current Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Possess a Food Handler Certificate
- Participate in Non-violent crisis intervention training
- Participate in mandatory TSA annual training
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements. .