JOB POST #4036-2023
Judicial Secretary – Ministry of the Attorney General – Court Services Division – NewmarketDate Posted: March 9th, 2023 Date Closing: March 24th, 2023
Job Term: 1 Temporary (up to 12 months)
Job Code: 09OAD – Office Administration 09
Salary: $26.15 – $30.48 Per Hour* *Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
Job ID: 196348
If you have a positive, proactive work ethic and are known for your attention to detail and strength in organizing, then consider this excellent opportunity in court administration with the Ministry of the Attorney General to provide judicial secretarial services to the Superior and Ontario Court of Justice. Court Services Division is committed to a diverse, respectful and professional workplace that reflects OPS values.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace. We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions. Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion
in the public service. We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario’s Human Rights Code. Refer to the “How to apply” section if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
You will: • type and transcribe (from handwritten notes or dictation media) correspondence, judgements and legal documents • take dictation, edit and compose correspondence • provide reception services and arrange appointments • maintain and manage judges’ calendars and schedules, and arrange for travel • process invoices and travel claims, maintain expense accounts • provide support to judges on committees • process mail, maintain filing system and access information on databases
How do I qualify?
- You have typing skills to 50 words per minute. (You will be required to complete a typing test.) • You have dicta skills to ministry standards of 70%. (You will be required to complete a dicta test.)
- You have excellent written communication skills to compose correspondence and transcribe judgments. • You have excellent oral communication skills to communicate with the judiciary in order to discuss court schedules and respond to inquiries. • You have ability to receive and screen telephone calls and visitors using tact and discretion. • You have interpersonal skills to deal with confidential and sensitive information and can deal effectively and tactfully various stakeholders.
Technical Knowledge and Experience:
- You have demonstrated legal secretarial and administrative experience. • You have knowledge of legal office systems, financial processes and court systems. • You have ability to work within court procedures including knowledge of legal terminology and documents.
Judgement, Organizational and Analytical Skills:
- You have proven organizational skills and ability to work independently. • You can prioritize, multi-task and complete work to meet deadlines. • You have ability to use good judgement and analytical skills to research and respond to inquiries and resolve conflicts successfully.
- You have demonstrated computer skills using applications such as Microsoft Office, e-mail, Internet and the Intranet.
1 Temporary, duration up to 12 months, 50 Eagle St W, Newmarket, Central Region, Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad – definitions
Category: Administrative and Support Services
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position. Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Corporate Talent Programs Branch, Talent and Leadership Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written
- consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you. A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment services team will contact you within 48 hours.
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Friday, March 24, 2023 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Ontario’s Human Rights Code.
How to Apply:
Please reference this job posting in your email: JOB POSTING #4036-2023